Thank you for all that you do. We love our Veterans! #happyveteransday
Replacing your roof is a huge decision that is generally made out of necessity. Typically people do not even notice their roof until it starts failing. With roof replacement being such a large investment you need to know what signs to look for before deciding to go forth with a replacement project. These are the 9 major reasons why your roof will need to be replaced.
- Water Damage: Water damage can be caused by improper ventilation, aged vents, leaks in valleys, missing shingles, and missing or damaged flashing. Water damage is the number one reason to replace your roof.
- Damaged Flashing: Damaged flashing is caused by normal wear and tear and improper installation. This is the most common cause of water damage to your roof. There is no permanent fix for this without replacement.
- Missing Shingles: Missing Shingles can be caused by exposure to high winds, improper fastening, poor quality sealants, and aging. When shingles are missing your roof is more easily exposed to the elements making the integrity of the roof deteriorate at a rapid pace.
- Bucking and Curling: Bucking and Curling can be caused by improper technique during installation, low quality asphalt blends, improper ventilation, and shingles reaching the end of their useful life. Both cause the shingles to come off of the roof and leads to unwanted exposure to the elements.
- Shingle Blistering: Shingle blistering is commonly caused by moisture trapped in the shingles, excessive use of asphalt during installation, absorption of moisture at the core of the shingle, or material used for the shingle.
- Algae Growth: Algae growth is caused when airborne algae is deposited onto the roof. This is a common issue in the Pacific Northwest, and only routine maintenance can cure it. When left untreated it can affect the service life of materials on your roof.
- Granular Loss: Granular loss is caused by exposure to the elements over time. On aging shingles, missing granule indicates the need for replacement as it cannot be repaired. Excess granule loss allows water saturation. On newly applied shingles a certain number of loose granules is normal.
- Rotting Shingles: Rotting shingles are caused by absorption of moisture at the core of the shingle. Age, granule loss, blistering, and excess algae in shingles can all be contributing factors when shingles rot. At this stage structural damage risk is high and requires immediate replacement.
How Can Harley Exteriors Help?
We have been conveniently located in the puget sound Area for 14 years. We are a reliable contractor that has proudly maintained an A+ rating with the BBB and Angie’s List. We have an easy process, free quotes, great incentives and above all else we are dedicated to get the job done right the first time!
Attention Washington state residents seeking roof replacements!
Is your roof damaged, leaking, unpleasant to look at, or simply not getting the job done? Harley Exteriors is here to help you. We offer best in class products, highly trained professionals, and 14 years of experience. We Service Tacoma, Seattle, Everett, Bothell, Mercer Island, and everywhere in between!
The Pacific Northwest is often known for its lovely trees, interesting people, and rainy weather. 2015 has been a record year for strange weather and dangerous wind conditions. Windstorms are a fairly normal occurrence for us Washingtonians, and affect us heavily with power outages, unsafe driving conditions, and downed trees.
Wa Windstorms: A Brief Breakdown
Wind Storms are actually quite normal in the Pacific Northwest. Being a coastal state, this is to be expected. The dangerous aspect of the wind goes hand in hand with our Evergreen State. The trees of this state are tall conifers with shallow roots. This combined with a typically wet soil makes for easily uprooted trees during wind storms. Although windstorms are common statewide, large windstorms are regional. Heavily forested suburb areas are the mostly likely to see severe structural damage since homes and trees are in close proximity.
Common Types of Home Damage:
- Windows can easily be cracked, shattered, or have their frames damaged. Any window damage can be costly and dangerous for you and your family.
- Roof damage can happen instantaneously or over time. This usually happens closer to the edges of the roof (known as the peeling effect) and will make your roof look like it is being peeled back. Shingles can also become dislodged and fly off. Debris can also buildup from the various elements and roof pieces.
- Gutters can become overly full from new, rapidly blown debris. The gutters can also detach in some areas due to new weight. In the event that a tree or large branch falls, the gutters can be ripped in half or completely detached.
What can you do?
Being prepared is your biggest advantage. Since large windstorms are regional, pay attention to the weather and know if gusts are forecasted to reach or exceed 32 MPH (the speed at which structural damage can happen). If a storm is forecasted in the immediate future make sure to clean your gutters or have them cleaned. Since your gutters can take on additional debris it is important to clear the way for the new mess. Also, it helps in the future if you have to make an insurance claim. Take in your surrounding and make sure to note the location of large, problematic trees. Above all else stay safe during the storm.
My home is damaged, now what?
Stay calm and diagnose the damage that has occurred. Once you have a good idea of the damage that has occurred contact your insurance company or property manager (if you rent). When it comes time for repairs to take place do your research. You want to make sure that you are hiring a company/contractor who is reliable, certified, and has a great track record with customers.
How can Harley Exteriors help you?
Harley Exteriors offers superior products and installation experience to upgrade your home and make it a more comfortable, livable space. Since 2002, we’ve been installing custom replacement windows, as well as stone coated metal and asphalt shingle roofing, to homeowners in the Pacific Northwest. Throughout that time we’ve earned an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, an A rating with Angie’s List, and have been honored with the First Security Bank Achievement Award for outstanding customer service.
Our customers are our pride. We will be there for you in your hard time and make sure that you are taken care of from the initial correspondence all the way until the final piece of installation.